Just so you know, I am not a doctor. Please don't take what I say as a replacement for medical advice. I also may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in my posts. Full affiliate disclosure and disclaimers can be found here.
Why Pizza Chicken? Maybe you have some plain old chicken breast sitting in the fridge for dinner and you have no idea what to do with it. Or maybe you want some Italian food, but not the carbs. Or maybe you just want something a bit different for dinner. Bonus points if kids will eat it, right?!
Hence how Pizza Chicken was born! I had all of the above going on and it was time to mix things up a bit. I got creative, and this time it actually worked! What do I do when I have a fun kitchen win? I share it with y’all!
And let’s be honest… getting vegetables into picky eaters can be hard sometimes. Thankfully Pizza Chicken doesn’t really hide them, but rather makes them part of the deliciousness! (And totally hard to pick out. MUAHAHAHA!) Also, I may have named it this in order to entice my tiny humans to take a bite. which totally worked by the way.
Now without further ado…
- A skillet or pan. Preferably a big ass one.
- cutting board and knife
- can opener
- a good attitude
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 can diced tomatoes do not drain!
- 1/2 bag spinach
- 1 onion
- 2-4 tbsp butter Optional. But it makes a nice creamy sauce!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 1/2 cup Gluten-Free Panko bread crumbs
- seasonings to taste garlic, Italian blend, salt, pepper, etc. Go nuts!
- Heat the oil in the pan while dicing the chicken breast into bite-sized chunks and chopping the onion.
- Cook the onion until soft and translucent over Medium-High heat
- Add the chicken and cook through, turning often. Feel free to season the chicken now.
- Add in the can of diced tomatoes. Keeping the temperature Medium-High, bring the mixture to a simmer.
- melt the butter into the liquid, stirring often.
- Fold in the spinach leaves, stirring until they are wilted and well blended into the mixture.
- Reduce the heat (the liquid should be a bit reduces by now leaving a nice sauce to coat everything) and sprinkle in the bread crumbs and cheese.
- Top with any remaining cheese to make it pretty
Let’s face it, weeknight meals can be a challenge. And I have a tendency to repeat meals over and over once I find one that works. S whenever I find one that I can mix up here and there… I jump on it. So, if you give my Pizza Chicken a whirl… tell me how it went! And tell me how you made it your own!